Tuesday, November 4, 2014

First Hill intervals - learning as I go

Today I did Hill intervals on the Wattbike. An acquaintance posted the article link of "Make hills your friend & improve your cycling fitness dramatically" yesterday on his Facebook.

I read the article and realised that I never really do any hills when I cycle, not even on the road. I always plan my routes according to the flat areas and this is not doing my cycling any good.

Today was the first time ever I really did hill training while standing. Yes, I do peddle standing up when on the trails to conquer steep inclines but today I did hill intervals of about 15-20 seconds standing. IT WAS FREAKIN HARD!

The first thing I noticed was how my heart rate climbed to 160-165. I then felt how my quads, hamstrings and calves were screaming "tired" or "stop!" They were working hard to peddle and keep me upright. The last thing I noticed how out of breathe I was. One time I had to stop peddle altogether to catch my breathe.

I am learning as I go with the cycling. Still very new in all of this. As I type this my legs and glutes are TIRED and I know I am going to be so stiff tomorrow but the training will be all worth it.


1 comment:

  1. All terrain biking is very popular around my parts as we are surrounded on the south side of town with miles and miles of trails in the mountains that can be used for hiking and trail riding. A lot of my younger friends are out every weekend (weather permitting). I like your new blog!

    ReplyDelete