Monday, June 2, 2014

Recently started

Hi there. My name is Marleen and I am a novice MTB rider.

I've only recently started, like 2-3 months back, with the mountain biking experience after my Coach (Personal trainer, bodybuilding coach) told me all about the sport he does which is mountain biking. I've found it so interesting and started looking into the sport via websites. I couldn't believe the amount of people who were enjoying this sport.

Then I bought my first bike in 15 years. The last time I rode a bike was when I was 16 years old and never again. I have to say that bikes in overall have changed so much in the last decade that it's all so new to me.

At this moment I am busy in building endurance. Logging time on my saddle on the road throughout the week and on weekends I am finding trails to ride.

This past weekend I've found myself at a local MTB trail site called The Big Red Barn. It was my very first time there. I couldn't believe the amount of riders coming and going. Even people with their families.

I'm always nervous when I start with something new or are at a new place. Don't know what to expect. Got my bike off the car rack, geared up and shifted my behind onto the saddle. Here we go!

Entered the park. Knew I will only start with the shortest course and followed the indicators. 99% of the course is single track. I struggled to get a handle on my bike especially on speed. There was a lot of zig-zag type of tracks and a few times one needed to ride through a narrow pathway through two trees. Almost rode into the trees :)

I've also fallen off a small incline. Did not have enough momentum to push up the incline, lost grip on the bike and fallen to the side. So I learn. Crossing of bridges was also much fun.

My goal is to ride a Sani2C or Jozi2C in a few years. I know that this is going to take a while, building endurance and learning the MTB skills. I have a very long way to go but as I go along, I will update here. So keep on following me and my MTB adventures.

A scene from the trails.


No comments:

Post a Comment